T: +41 21 601 81 25
M: +41 79 485 38 44
English, French, Spanish, German, Italian
CV in pdf
Jorge Ibarrola is a Swiss qualified Attorney-at-Law specialised in the legal representation and consulting of sports and business clients. After more than four years of experience as Counsel for the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), he created his private practice in 2007 in Lausanne, which expanded in 2009 with the foundation of Libra Law. Jorge Ibarrola advises and represents in particular clients from the world of sport, such as national and international sports federations, football clubs, athletes and players, coaches and agents. He proceeds as counsel in international arbitration proceedings, notably before the CAS, and in ordinary judiciary proceedings before Swiss courts, including the Swiss Federal Tribunal.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
1992 University of Lausanne, Switzerland (lic. iur.)
1994 McGill University, Montreal, Canada (LL.M)
1996 Admission to Swiss Bar
1998 Tax Administration (Vaud)
2000 UBS (Waelth & Tax Planner)
2002 KPMG (Tax Manager)
2003 Court of Arbitration for Sport (Counsel)
2007 Ibarrola Sports International Law (Founding Parner)
2009 Libra Law Ibarrola & Ramoni (Founding Parner)
- Sports law (contracts, disciplinary, doping, governance, etc.)
- Litigation (arbitration and ordinary courts, at national and international levels)
- Employment, commercial and contract law
- Corporate law
- Individual tax law
- Intellectual property
- Board of Directors
- President of the Disciplinary Chamber and Sole Judge for disciplinary matters of SwissBasketball.
- Swiss Association of Sports Law: member of the Committee, organiser of the “Soirées de droit du sport” since 2015.
- Invited Professor at Instituto Superior de Derecho Económico (ISDE), Master program in Sport internacional law.
- Invited Professor at St Johns University, New York, LL.M. program in Sports International Law.
- Invited Professor at AISTS, Lausanne, Master program in Advanced Studies in Sport Administration and Technology
- Invited lecturer at several Universities and conferences: University of Fribourg (Switzerland), Players Contracts (London), RFEF Congress on football law (Spain), Universidade Coimbra (Portugal), University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), IDEAP (Lausanne), Universitat Lleida (Spain), Universidad Austral (Buenos Aires), ITAM (Mexico), etc.
- Vaud Bar association (OAV)
- Swiss Bar Association (FSA)
- Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA)
- Club Español de Arbitraje (CEA)
- Swiss Association of Sports Law (ASDS)
- Rex Sport
- Association Suisse des Managers du Sport (ASMS)
- International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- La Resolución del Contrato de Trabajo del Deportista en Derecho Suizo, in La extinción del contrato del deportista en Europa y Latinoamérica, Madrid, 2017
- Contador: burden of proof & presumption of culpability, worldsportslawreport 04/12, London, 2014
- The CAS Ad Hoc Division at the Olympic Games: What Might Happen in Sotchi, Favorit, 2013
- La carga de la prueba y la presunción, El País, Madrid, 2012
- Participation after serving a doping ban: Dehiba case, worldsportslawreport 08/11, London, 2011
- La jurisprudence du TAS en matière de football – questions de procédure et de droit de fond, in The Proceedings before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, CAS & FSA/SAV Conférence, Weblaw, Berne, 2007
- Les prix imposés de revente : étude de droit comparé des Etats-Unis, du Canada, de la Suisse et de la Communauté européenne, thesis LL.M., McGill, Montreal 1995